Cambridge was granted its city charter in 1951 in recognition of its history, administrative importance and economic success.  Cambridge does not have a cathedral, traditionally a prerequisite for city status, instead falling within the Church of England Diocese of Ely . In 1962 Cambridge's first shopping arcade, Bradwell's Court, opened on Drummer Street, though this was demolished in 2006.  Other shopping arcades followed at Lion Yard, which housed a relocated Central Library for the city, and the Grafton Centre which replaced Victorian housing stock which had fallen into disrepair in the Kite area of the city. This latter project was controversial at the time. 
This issue focuses on governmental projects that go across the educational spectrum from primary level to higher education. Subjects covered include: Cambridge English’s growing impact on English language teaching and learning in national education projects; General English examinations – the case of Germany; the adoption of international certification in the French state school sector; Cambridge English and Spanish school networks; the use of Cambridge English: Business Certificates as a measurement instrument in higher education in China; Cambridge English trains Thai teachers; Colombia national bilingual project; working together – the case of the English Diagnostic Test and the Chilean Ministry of Education.
Download Issue 40 (PDF 270kb)